Senior Specialist Surveyor
Contract type: Fixed term Appointment to 31 March 2025
Work pattern: Full time, 37 hours a week, flexible
Post number: 202935
As an organisation we support flexible working. This role allows hybrid working (a mix of home and office working) and a working pattern suitable for you can be discussed on appointment if you are successful.
You will be contracted to a NRW office within the place base, of which you will be required to attend for regular meetings, training and for one-to-one meetings with your manager. These will be planned in advance.
The post holder will provide the high-level professional land agent expert role in their geographical area (South Wales), being responsible, directly and by the advice given, for ensuring NRW manages the significant financial, legal, operational and reputational risk arising from the management of land and assets.
The post holder will be the organisation's high level professional expert for bringing Sites of Special Scientific Interest (SSSIs) into better condition.
Your responsibilities will include:
- As a professionally qualified Land Agent you will be responsible for providing authoritative professional expertise and advice to senior management to support NRW’s Land Stewardship, legal compliance and strategic budget management. You will negotiate and lead acquisition of land, valuing assets, and give professional advice on legal and tax issues associated with land stewardship. You will be accountable for this advice which will be relied upon in high-risk decision making.
- You will have operational responsibility for leading and managing complex task groups and high-profile projects involving multifunctional specialist/technical staff.
- You will be accountable for the instruction of solicitors and barristers and for providing information to legal agents in support of court cases, conveyancing and litigation.
- You will be responsible and accountable for land transactions and claims settlement.
- You will contribute your professional knowledge and judgement to the development of business plans, strategy, policy and guidance.
- You will coach, mentor and support colleagues across Operations either in your capacity as the Land Agent for a Place or as a technical lead for a specific topic area for the Directorate as a whole.
- You will work with other Technical Specialists in NRW, leading where appropriate, to promote consistent advisory and regulatory practices across functional regimes.
- You will represent NRW as a professional expert on internal and external forums operating at a Wales and UK level.
- You will be accountable for building, maintaining and improving relationships with internal and external stakeholders and management teams.
- You will be accountable for maintaining your personal professional accreditation (RICS) and ensure the latest developments in the professional field are reflected in your work and your contributions to strategy, policy and guidance production.
- You will maintain auditable records of actions and outcomes to justify and demonstrate that all legal and procedural requirements have been met.
Qualifications, experience and knowledge
You will have knowledge and experience of the following:
- Full Chartered Surveyor membership of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors. (RICS)
- RICS Registered Valuer or a willingness to become one.
- Substantial relevant experience in the field and ability to demonstrate a high level of knowledge and personal and professional credibility and a commitment to continuing professional development.
- Excellent people management, financial management, leadership and influencing skills.
- Able to manage complex Projects and Programmes of work.
- Proven ability to manage financial, legal, operational and reputational risk around the post holder’s area of work and identify risks to the business.
- In-depth knowledge in land and property management to enable the provision of objective advice to others on specialist issues.
- Confidence and the ability to discuss policy and legal land stewardship issues with a range of audiences.
- Excellent inter-personal and influencing skills and the ability to develop and maintain good relationships and networks with a range of individuals and at all levels.
- Excellent negotiating skills employed to achieve the best outcome for NRW.
- Expertise in identifying areas for cost reduction and increasing income.
Welsh language requirements: Essential Level 1 – Able to pronounce Welsh and use basic phrases
Please note if you do not meet the level 1 requirement i.e., ability to understand basic phrases and ability to pronounce Welsh names correctly, then NRW offers a variety of learning options and staff support to help you meet these minimal requirements during the course of your employment with us.
Applications to this role will be assessed based on the following competencies, both at shortlisting and interview. Please give examples of how you demonstrate these competencies when completing your application form.
Essential Knowledge and Skills
Evaluation of Information
Decision Making and Autonomy Requirements
Communication and Relationships with Others
Responsibility for Resources
Benefits of working for us
This role will offer a range of benefits, including:
- agile and flexible working (role dependent)
- Civil Service Pension Scheme offering employer contributions of 26.6% to 30.3%
- 28 days annual leave, rising to 33 days
- generous leave entitlements for all your life needs
- health and wellbeing benefits and support
- weekly well-being hour to use at your choice
See full details for all the employee benefits you will receive.
How to apply
Please read our Guidance on completing a job application form before applying.
Application closing date: 4 July 2022
Interviews will take place via Microsoft Teams, date to be confirmed.
If you have any queries about the role, please contact email@example.com
Natural Resources Wales embraces diversity and promotes equal opportunity. We recruit by merit on the basis of fair and open competition.
We welcome and encourage applications from groups currently underrepresented, including women, black and ethnic minority groups and people with a disability. We have a guaranteed interview scheme for candidates with disabilities who meet the minimum selection criteria.
We put the principles of human rights, equality, fairness, dignity and respect at the heart of our values.