All bat species are protected by law, including their breeding sites and resting places.

You may be able to get a licence from us if you cannot avoid disturbing them or damaging their habitats, or if you want to survey or conserve them.

Bats and the law

It is against the law to:

  • deliberately capture, injure or kill bats
  • damage or destroy a breeding or resting place
  • obstruct access to their resting or sheltering places
  • possess, transport, sell or exchange live or dead bats, or parts of them
  • intentionally or recklessly disturb a bat while it’s in a structure, or place of shelter, or protection

You also need a licence to own, transport, sell or exchange a protected species.

Bats in my home

Find out what to do if you are concerned about bats at your property

Who can apply for a licence

You can apply for a licence if you are at least 18 years old. You can also apply if you are at least 16 years old and have wildlife licensing qualifications or awards, or if the application relates to the possession, transport, sale or exchange of a protected species.

You must be at least 16 years old to act as an accredited agent or assistant to a licensee.

An accredited agent is a person named on the licence who may act on behalf of the licensee in their absence.

An assistant is employed by and works under the direct supervision of the nominated ecologist or their accredited agents.

Assistants do not need to be named on the application form or licence. The nominated ecologist or accredited agent should keep a log of all assistants who have worked under a particular licence, as they may be asked to provide this at a later date.

Find out if you need to apply for a protected species licence

Apply for a bat licence

If you cannot avoid disturbing bats or damaging their roosts, you can apply for a species licence. 

You should apply for a licence to carry out:

Last updated