Our staff are now home working wherever possible. This means we can't accept paper application forms at this time. You will be able to submit forms via email and if required you can make payments via BACS.
You will need Microsoft Word 2010 or equivalent to be able to use the electronic forms.
Whilst we hope to keep disruption to a minimum, please be aware there may be a longer processing time during this period of transition.
Standard Rules Permits
Before you apply for a standard rules permit make sure you understand the standard rules set, that it describes exactly what you want to do and that you will be able to meet the requirements of the rules.
For each facility there is a set of rules, guidance on how to comply with the rules and a risk assessment.
We may place limits on the proximity of your activity to nature conservation sites or specify whether any point source emissions are allowed.
Applying for a standard permit saves you time and money. However, before you decide to apply you need to be aware of some important characteristics:
- You cannot vary the rules and you have no right of appeal against them;
- If you want to change your operations so that a standard permit no longer works for your operation you will have to apply to change your permit to make it bespoke instead;
- If there is a change in your local environment after your permit has been issued (for example due to a change in the definition of a groundwater source protection zone), you may need to upgrade the operation to a standard sufficient for the changed environment, or apply to change to a bespoke permit
- For standard permit discharges to surface waters, the annual subsistence charge will start from the date the permit is issued. We recommended that you do not apply for a standard permit significantly ahead of when it is required unless you accept payment of these charges. There are currently no standard rules permits for sewage effluent to ground/groundwater
- You should check if we are due to make any changes to the rules before you apply to make sure you will still be able to meet them when the changes are published. If not, you should consider applying for a bespoke permit
If the activity you want to undertake seems to be covered by one of the standard rules below, select the link and read carefully through the full standard rules set and associated generic risks assessment.
Make sure you understand the standard rules set, that it describes exactly what you want to do and that you will be able to meet the requirements of the rules. If you cannot comply with any of the standard rules, you must apply for a bespoke permit:
Look at our How to apply for an environmental permit page before you apply, for up-to-date information on the application process.
When opening the forms, you may need to click 'Save and open', then 'View, Edit document' or 'Enable content'. Look at our How to apply for an environmental permit page for more information on using our application forms.
Application form Part A - About you
Guidance notes Part A - How to complete Part A of our application form
Application Form Part B1 - Apply for a standard facilities permit
Guidance notes Part B1 - How to complete Part B1 of our application form
All applicants must fill in either part F1 or F2. If you are applying for an installation, waste operation, mining waste operation or groundwater activity, for example spreading to land, fill in Part F1. If you are applying for a standalone point source water discharge fill in Part F2.
Application Form Part F1 - Opra, charges and declarations
Guidance notes Part F1 - How to complete Part F1 of our application form
Application Form Part F2 - Charging for discharges (C for D) charges and declarations
Guidance notes Part F2 - How to complete Part F2 of our application form
How to pay
You can pay for your permit application in the following ways:
Call us on 0300 065 3000 between 9 and 5, Monday to Friday.
by BACS transfer to:
Company name: Natural Resources Wales
Company address: Income Department, PO Box 663, Cardiff, CF24 0TP
Address: National Westminster Bank Plc., 2 1/2 Devonshire Square, London, EC2M 4BA
Sort code: 60-70-80
Account number: 10014438
Fees and charges
Read more about fees and charges in our environmental permitting charging scheme.
Please send your completed application form to: