Flood risk activity exclusions
Flood risk activities that do not need permission before you start work
You can carry out some flood risk activities without a flood risk activity permit or registering for an exemption.
You must meet the specific conditions set out in the technical guidance for flood risk activity exclusions. It is a criminal offence to carry out an excluded activity without meeting the appropriate conditions.
Excluded flood risk activities:
- any activity carried on in an emergency
- a licensable marine activity in Wales
- the erection and use of ladders and scaffold towers
- the construction and use of service crossings within an existing structure
- the attachment of a flood protection device directly to a building in order to protect the interior of that building.
- the carrying out of minor works on or affecting bridges and culverts for highways and public rights of way
- the erection of fencing
- erection of notice boards
- clearance of purpose built sediment traps
- site investigation boreholes and trial pits within a flood plain
If you need to undertake temporary works (for example use scaffolding or coffer dams in the channel), contact us to discuss if a bespoke permit might be needed.
Find out more about flood risk activity permits if your proposed activity is not listed, or does not meet all the specific conditions.